I have to be honest, I’m sensitive to sound, mostly sounds that humans make. Little sounds that people make that wouldn’t make them think twice about gets under my skin. These sounds are like listening to nails on a chalkboard. It may not bother you as much, but they bother me tremendously. So, here it goes:
1. Noises people make when they yawn. You know the people, the ones who make the loudest noises while they’re yawning as if to say “Yup, I’m tired and yawning and let me do it as loudly as possible so everybody in the whole entire vicinity can hear you.” Seriously, people, you’re yawning. If you need to yawn do it as quietly as possible. Nobody wants to hear it, me least of all.
2. Snoring. I seriously can’t stand snoring and little tolerance for it. Why? Because I can’t sleep when someone’s snoring. I can fall asleep and be awoken to it in the middle of the night and not be able to go back to sleep. There’s ways to get you to stop sleeping. For the sake of others in the house trying to sleep, please close the door or do something. For my sanity.
3. Tapping on the chair or kicking someone’s seat or tapping their feet on the floor. You know you’ve heard it before. You’re in a silent room or you’re trying to watch a movie or t.v. show and they start tapping their feet or kicking your seat or tapping their fingers on their chair or pounding/tapping/whatever on their armrest.
4. People popping/snapping gum. Gum is meant to chew not make annoyingly loud noises with it like popping it. This has been a pet peeve of mine for years and it never gets any better. It’s one of those things that I feel should be consider rude while in the company of others, especially in public.
5. Listening to someone sitting there moving their tongue around their mouth. I don’t think it needs any explanation. It’s annoying watching it and especially listening to it. What’s so interesting about the inside of your mouth that you have to continuously push your tongue around it? Please stop.
6. Younger people making sounds of irritation. Smacking their lips, making weird sounds with their mouths that I don’t know how to explain in writing. Don’t get me wrong, I love kids and teens, but that just plain irritates me.
There’s probably more that I’m forgetting, but those are some of the major ones. What are some sounds that irritate you to no end?