It seems that in the past couple of years, people have done a 30 day November meme called “I’m thankful for.” You’ve probably seen it: every day the person participating posts one thing they are thankful for that day. So I thought I’d do a short little post today about what I’m thankful for. Because really, everyone has something to be thankful for, even when everything seems to be going wrong.
1. I’m thankful for having such a wonderful dad for 26 years. Not everybody gets to have their father for such a long time, or even know them at all, or even have one as great as mine. We did everything together: Rode roller coasters, watched movies, went out for supper, everything. If I do get married, I hope my husband is just as amazing my dad was.
2. I’m thankful for my mom. She’s been sick on and off for the past 6 years, but now she’s on the healthy road and I hope she’s around for another 20 or 30 years (or more!). She does everything for me and helps me out in more ways than one.
3. I’m thankful for my health. Yes, I get colds sometimes and sometimes I get cuts and scrapes, but at least I don’t have anything seriously wrong with me. Some people are a whole lot worse than I am and for that, I’m truly thankful that I’m not the same way.
4. I’m thankful for having a job. Sure, it’s part time. Sure, I don’t get the full 25 hours every week, but at least it’s a job. At least I’m making some money. A lot of people are jobless right now, which I can’t even imagine. Thank God for small favors.
5. I’m thankful for a roof over my head. This should go without saying. Staying warm and healthy in a nice, comfortable home is the best thing ever, especially when compared to people living say, in the homeless shelter.
6. I’m thankful for sunny days. Everybody who knows me knows that I hate cold weather. While I know it’s cold outside today, at least I can settle on the fact that the sun is shining!
7. I’m thankful for being single and not in a bad relationship. So many people stay in bad relationships because they’d rather be in the bad relationship than be single. I say screw it and be single. I suppose I’m seeing someone, but I’ve started seeing myself as unattached and single since I haven’t heard from him in so long that it doesn’t count. Be true to yourselves, everybody, that’s the best way you can be.
8. I’m thankful for being who I am. I don’t always appreciate the person that I am, but I couldn’t imagine being anybody other than me, and that’s truly all that matters.
9. I’m thankful for a car. I’ve had to live without a car for the last two years because I was going through school and both me and my parents didn’t have the money to get me one, in spite of my frustrations about not having one. You could even count the years before that when I had to ride the bus to school and back because I didn’t have my license yet. Very frustrating. But it’s made me more thankful for my car now to do whatever I want.
10. I’m thankful for my friends. I have some pretty good friends who love and support me. I seriously don’t know what I would’ve done if I didn’t have some of them in my life right now. They lift me up when I’m down and laugh with me during the good times. And isn’t that the greatest thing ever?
Ash is participating in the November daily post for National Novel Writing Month.