Some things that have been going on:
- I considered doing a “Lessons” post this week in honor of my birthday. I’m sure you’ve seen these around the internet at some point or another: “22 Lessons for Turning 22” or 30 or whatever age the person is at the time of posting it. I decided that I didn’t want to do this because it seems a little cliche and redundant. We all learn things as we go along in our lives and we all learn the same (or even different things) at different points in our lives. What’s true for me may not be true for someone else, so why are these lessons even comparable to another’s? Just my thought. You are, of course, free to disagree.
- Last week I submitted a short memoir piece to Chicken Soup for the Soul. They have a lot of calls for submissions this year and I decided to take advantage and submit one of my stories. I was hesitating to do so because they don’t really acknowledge one way or another about your story. If you’re rejected they don’t tell you and if they do accept it, you don’t find out until 60 days prior to the book being published. BUT you do get 200 bucks and a few free copies of the book that you’re story will appear in. It’ll be awesome if I get accepted, but if not, then oh well.
- I’ve been writing a whole lot more. By writing a lot, I mean writing short stories and memoirs. I haven’t in a couple of days because I don’t want to burn out but I’m writing more than what I have been doing. Plus, I had one of my friends look at one of my stories for me and gave me some good thoughts on how to perhaps expand the story.
- I’ve been reading a lot. I read about four books in the past two weeks. This hasn’t happened in several years as my reading levels has declined over the years, but I felt proud of myself to start reading again. I even started a brand new book blog to try and keep up with everything. As everyone knows, I had a book blog a couple years ago, but the domain wasn’t write and I just didn’t feel comfortable in my own little space that I created. So I started a new one and much to my happiness, it’s perfect for me. So, if you want to check out my new book blog, hop on over to Apt Reader. Read and share the love for me! I’d really like to gain some followers.
- I’m bouncing between two themes for Ordinary Travels at the moment. I really love the Twenty Sixteen theme and I’ve been using it since November or December when they added to the canon of free WordPress themes. But they just added a new one called Affinity which I’m trying out at the moment. So far I like the big, prominent picture and how when you scroll down, my blog name and pages (the About Me, Blogroll, etc) scrolls down with you while not interfering with my posts. Plus the post font is pretty and the publish date and comment section is easily scene off to the side of the post. Both themes are nice, tho I enjoy the simplicity of Twenty Sixteen. So, if you see me flipping between the two, that’s probably why. Both are too pretty to choose.
- Speaking of themes and such, I’ve been struggling with my very own tagline for my blog. I want one that shouts, “Hey, this is my blog!” without stepping on any other blogs but it’s so had. So as of right now I don’t have one (I had “an online journal” as my tagline for awhile but how boring and obvious is that?) soo, if you guys have any tips or suggestions, it’d be great!
That’s about all I’ve got. I decided to make a short bullet point list of things I wanted to talk about because all of these things I wanted to talk about but none of them were long enough to have their own stand alone blog post. Thanks for putting up with me! Any thoughts on any of these things please let me know! I appreciate it.