This world is full of crusty things, you know. And by crusty I mean that there have been gross things that have put gaping holes into our minds and bodies and souls and they’ve bled and crusted over and got infected. And then the crusty bits grew over the infected bits and it’s just a whole gooey mess. And we keep sinking into the middle of this crusty goo and struggle against it and never seem to get out. We get so involved in it that we forget that among the horror, among the sadness, among the disillusionment, there are good things that happen. Tiny rays of hope that struggle for our attention, but the hugeness of the negativity of the world is such that we don’t pay attention to it.
But we should. We should stop fighting and sinking and debating who is right and just take a good look at the good in the world.
That’s why I want to take a moment and look at the good things in my life. Maybe some of my good things are some of your good things that have happened. Maybe they’re similar or relate to you or just make you smile. Because I’d like to make you stop and smile in the very least, just for a little while.
Without further ado, here are some good things that have happened in my life:
- I got to teach two little boys what bookmarks are. A mom and her boys came to the desk to check out. I asked them if they’d like bookmarks and they asked me what bookmarks were and I said “Something to put in your books to mark your pages.” After I explained to them, they both really wanted one. I’m glad I got them started early in the possible of wanting to use bookmarks, even for picture books.
- Being halfway done with summer reading. At my library adult participants get a prize for every five books read for the first fifteen books. I managed to get the first two books in two weeks. I’ve kinda slowed down and only finished one book for the third prize, but I’m almost done. I hope I can get it!
- I’ve been sleeping well. Somehow I’ve been falling straight to sleep this past week. I love it when I can fall straight to sleep. I don’t know why I’ve been falling asleep so quickly, but I’m loving it.
- I’ve been writing in my private journal almost every day for a couple of weeks. As I’ve mentioned before in past posts, I love hand writing things, especially stories and in journals. I’ve been writing in my journal almost every day for a couple weeks now and it’s making me happy. I haven’t been writing anything interesting and I’ve mostly complained about trying to find something to write about, but I’ve mostly been able to get one or two full pages for the most part. I’ll take what I can get.
- I’ve finally gotten some of the books I’ve been waiting for at work. There’s some books that I’ve requested at the library, and a couple of them I requested way back in February and it’s taken ALL this time to get them. Well, I finally received some of them and I’m almost done reading one of them already. It’s fabulous. And yes, only an avid reader like me can get so excited about getting books from the library after a long week.
- Going to the movies. I rarely get to go to the movies and even rarer when I get to go with my mom. A couple Saturdays ago I got to go see Me Before You with my mom and our neighbor. It was so heartwarming and sad at the same time. And it followed the book well. If you haven’t seen it yet, please go see it. And if you’ve read the book already, I think you’ll be pleased by how well it’s followed the book. Very, very pleased.
- Having good health. I’ve said this before, many times before. But you don’t know how how precious health is until you lose it. If you don’t have any diseases or disabilities, be grateful. Not everybody has that luxury.
- Riding my bike. This summer I’ve rode my bike more than I have in the past couple years or so. Since my dog died seven years ago, I rarely rode my bike mainly because it was something I did with her and it just wasn’t the same. But now that some time has passed, I feel ready to start riding again or a regular basis and I’m glad that I’ve been doing so.
- Having a thunderstorm/rainstorm this week. Early hours of the morning Thursday, we had a bad thunderstorm. It knocked the Internet and t.v. I’m not a rain person unless it’s at night, and I’m even grumpier when it knocks out the Internet for any length of time, but yesterday I was grateful for it. Mainly because it helped me focus on reading and catching up without the distractions of the computer, even if it was for a short time.
- Getting my Internet back. See previous post. I don’t like being without the Internet. At least it was a short time this time instead of all day!
What are some things you are thankful and glad about this week? Let me know in the comments below!