Today is my birthday.
Yes, thank you. I appreciate it. I can’t believe it either.
Even though I’m older now, I still like having birthdays. I like feeling special, doing something nice to mark the day.
I like to acknowledge that I’m still alive and enjoying what the world has to offer.
There’s a lot of heartache and sadness and struggle in the world these days and people often get themselves caught up in the world and the terrible things that can happen. They don’t stop and realize that there is still good in this world. The sun is still shining, the flowers are still blooming, the birds are still singing, the dog is still bouncing joyfully. We need to stop and notice the little things that make us happy, you know?
I may be a year older, but I am still living. I am here to be able to see and hear and create. I don’t know what I’d do if I wasn’t able to create, you know? Even if it’s small little musings, then I am still creating and making a mark in the world.
So here are a few little observations to mark my birthday. Hopefully you can make something of it and maybe I’ll still remember them in my daily life.
- If someone says something negative, it’s nothing personal. Don’t let it affect your day. Unless of course they tell you that you don’t like chocolate, then in which case you don’t need that kind of negativity in your life.
- It’s okay to not like something anymore, even if it’s something you enjoyed for many years. You’re allowed to change and have new perspectives.
- Don’t be ashamed to like the things that you do like. If we all enjoyed what the majority liked, then we’d all be boring blobs of sameness.
- If someone makes an assumption about you and it’s irritating you, then maybe you should speak up. Especially if they’re assumption is wrong.
- Sometimes silence is the best answer. No need to engage in nonsense; it will save you a lot of grief.
- Take lots of pictures. Play with perspective and focus. Make a collage and remember the good things in life.
- Buy some flowers to decorate the house when you can. It really brightens your day up, especially if it’s overcast outside.
- Do what makes you happy. Unless you’re a cannibal. Then don’t…don’t do that.
- Learn something new. For me, I’ve had to do a lot of learning on an iPad since we decided to go with that instead of a laptop. I’m getting used to it though. I haven’t found computers totally weird yet since I still use them at work, but I know someday it’ll come to that. (I hope not.)
- Listen to the music that makes you happy.
- Go for long walks.
- Read a favorite book.
- Eat at a new restaurant.
- Drive somewhere new.
- Be yourself.
So…how do you celebrate your birthday? I think today I’m going to go eat at a restaurant (Red Lobster) and maybe watch a movie or something on YouTube. I usually go for a walk or visit a cemetery but can’t today. Oh well!